Let's start in the afternoon of New Years Eve. I had to work that day but only until 3:00. I felt great ( for being 36 weeks prego and all ) I was so excited to get off early and put my feet up for a while before we packed up to go to our friends Kris and Bekki's house for the New Year. My boss Cory was teasing me about not having the baby in time for a tax break, of course I had to come back with "unless I go into labor today". Which was all fun and games until it really happened. So I went home took a nap, packed my bag for the over-nighter and waited for Rob to get home. We then decided to meet Kris and Bekki in Alderwood to get some dinner. The pregnant lady (that's me) got to decide where to eat, so I chose the Keg! A big fat juicy steak, king crab legs and a baked potato with a salad to start was on the menu for me. We had to wait for an hour before we were seated. I of course had to use the bathroom so I waited until we were taken to our seats. As we sat at our table and enjoyed a good laugh and some bread, I felt a strong punch way down low come from the baby. Every time I laughed it felt like I was peeing my pants. I thought that was stupid to think sense I had just paid a visit to the bathroom. So I sat and laughed and sat and laughed some more. Then finally decided I better go to the bathroom before I completely wet myself down to my ankles. So I excused myself, walked down the steps that were right next to our table, stopped, thought to myself I wonder if that was my water breaking? No, couldn't be, I still have 4 more weeks, no way am I that blessed to end this battle early. Oh yes I was. It felt like I jumped into a pool up to my waist!!! I couldn't believe my water broke! That meant I was having this baby within 24hours period. So anyway back to the story. I turned around looked at Rob, Kris and Bekki and said "We gotta go my water just broke!". Kris said "Yeah right you just peed your pants". He then looked down at my jeans and believed me, they were totally drenched. So I grabbed my purse and Rob & I were off to the hospital. As I was waddling to the car with (in case you forgot) sopping wet pants Bekki comes running out to me with a roll and butter and says "Eat this they won't let you eat until you have the baby".
We then called all of our family, that was supposed to be celebrating the holiday and they all came runnin' to see a baby soon. Yeah right, it was not going to be that easy, then the story wouldn't be worth telling. So they hooked me up to the machines and realized I was not having very good contractions. So the on call Doc said "if nothing happens tonight I will be back at 6:30am and we will start the pitocin". I was praying for my body to start working it magic because I had heard way too many horror stories. Rob and I started walking the halls to get the baby to drop, no such luck. We celebrated the New Year in the lounge with our family and friends.
6:30 rolled around and sure enough here comes the Doc with pitocin in hand. I was scared it was going to hurt so bad that I wasn't going to be able to have a natural birth (which is what I wanted). I decided I didn't want any drugs...yet. So the contractions started and were pretty painful but with Rob's help I did all my breathing exercises and they went on until about 5 or 5:30 pm. Throughout the day they would check to see if I was dilating, but I wasn't . So I decided at 4:30 to have my nurse check one more time and if I wasn't 5cm then I would get an epidural to relax and hopefully my body would then do it's magic. Well the epidural was the most amazing feeling after 11 hours of off the chart contractions. I took a nap until about 8pm and the Doc came back in to check me because it had been 24hours sense my water broke. I was still only 3 cm. Sucky!!! So they put their gloves on gave me some more drugs and away we went to the OR.
About 45 minutes later at exactly 9:15pm I heard the cry of my sweat bundle of joy Logan Keith. What a day I thought, but worth every minute.
I will never find the words to explain how happy I am to be chosen to be Logan's mommy. He is the perfect addition to our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment