It was a warm night, late in the summer of '98. The air was dry, with the smell of cheap cigarettes and salt water wafting in from the north. I had been here many times before and knew its twisting paths as well as the ones I had carved into the blackberry bushes that dominated my parent’s backyard as a Child.
“the gates closed, do we have the code?” asks the young man to my right.
With a smile I looked at the young man “I have a special code.” With out hesitation I punched in the numbers as I had before 7 7 1 3 9 6. Silently thanking the old grounds keeper who had a soft spot for a couple of hard working young men.
“That will get you in anytime” he said as he shook our hands.
The red light turned to green as the electric lock clicked open. We were in. As we walked to our destination, building J, thoughts of my travels to this area before reminded me of how much I had changed in my time spent pounding the streets. Before I was uneasy, almost reluctant to venture into the humble part of the city. Now I walked with confidence, feeling almost at home, knowing that I was surrounded by the humble and sometimes downtrodden. A building or so away a man let out a full belly laugh, clearly enjoying the TV show he was watching. It had been so long since I enjoyed TV, I had no clue as to what the show might be. I smile knowing that here, in this little part of a big city; happiness was found in the small things in life, Food, family, a place to sleep, and the occasional good honest laugh. The sounds of a world winding down from another busy day filtered through the night air like snowflakes driven on the wind. Little did I know that tonight would be the night that I would be joined with one of my most trusted companions.
Having cleared building J, we crossed the courtyard and were well into building K by the time had come for us to rendezvous back at “the Box” as the locals called it. With only 2 more doors to hit, we decide to finish up. After knocking on the last door, a short man, with a dark goatee, in his early 30’s answered the door and smiled. He invited us into his home, a flat on the top floor. After a little small talk we share a couple thoughts with him and stand to leave. Knowing that our time was up and we were due back. I glanced over at the small little table in the corner of the room that holds the man’s “command center”. A small computer set up that is by far the most expensive thing in his top floor sanctuary.
“Hey that’s pretty sweet, where did you get it?” I say pointing to a little pad on the computer table.
“I can’t remember, you like it huh?”
“Yeah how can you not like it? He’s the man” I say with a laugh as the short man walked over and picked up the little pad and handed it to me.
“Here I want you to have it”
“No I couldn’t take it, it’s yours” I reply, respectfully declining the man's offering. Knowing it fit to perfectly into what the man had going in his humble home.
“I insist” he pressed, handing it to me. I smile and nodded “thank you, you are to kind” I say as I shake his hand. Once we leave the man’s home, he’s never to be seen again, even though I go back more than once over the course of the next month.
Before I realize it, I’m on to new things and new adventures. Through all my adventures big and small, the short man’s gift has been there, with a face that shows patience, power, and understanding. He was there when I first stepped into cyber space and got an electronic mail address. He was there the first time I stared into the eyes of the great fire dragon Naggafin. Through our adventures both great and small, neglect has fallen to this humble gift, but true to me he has been. Even when his kind we deemed unnecessary due to the technological advances in lasers, ones that could produce smooth operation on any surface man could produce. Though soiled by our mere interaction all these 11 years, still he has been there patient and stalwart in his duty and loyalty.
It wasn’t until the love of my life offered this advice “try a little oxyclean and warm water on him”. Heeding her advice I put to quick work the a fore mentioned oxyclean and warm water. Now the dirty residue of time is gone, new life has been breathed into my once tired friend!
Welcome back to the full luster of life Master Yoda, may our adventures together be even better than those already past!
4 comments:
Is this Jenn?
Your words are so beautiful. I am getting a little tearry eyed. What you and that little green Jedi have is very special.
Sarah- no! that post had nothing to do with me. i just hope it didn't scare anyone away.hahaha.
Yes yes we do Nater.
Post a Comment